Fiveisno1's Trainee Application

Five

General Questions

1. Do you have at least 72 hours logged on our server? This is required before applying for staff. (Ensure you reference your time log: pause > Statistics > second line)
19 days almost 20 as of writing this. I started playing about May 18, 2020.
2. Have you been a staff member on any other server? If so, which?
I have helped admin for small private servers. I am familiar with some commands.
3. What is your discord username? (Please include the numbers subsequent to the username! Example Robingall#2145)
Five#0865
Staff Questions

1. How old are you? (In years)

-33 years old

2. Do you have any experience with our forums/server?

-I have more experience working with the server than I do the forums. I have never really been one to leisurely utilize forums. However, if it is expected of me, I have no problem being more active in the forums.

3. Do you have any experience with any other general plugins?

-I have learned fairly well how to navigate the plugins currently on Vivacity, but I recognize I still have things to learn about the PVP items, socketing, and the latest addition of paintings. I used to belong to a different public server where I worked as a player with different plugins such as, a much different money system, werewolf, vampire, and other races that give certain bonuses to McMMO stats or jobs, PVP/PVE class system (spells, armor, weapons, etc.), other custom weapons (including sentient ones that would talk to you in chat), and a different type of dungeon and boss battle plugin.

4. Do you understand the Server's anti-grief system?

-Yes, A stick is used to check if a block is claimed. If it is claimed it will highlight the outline of the claim with gold blocks and glowstone corners. In chat there is a message signifying who owns the claim.
In order to claim a block one must use a golden shovel and right click one corner of the space they are trying to claim, a diamond block will appear and the player must click a block diagonally from the diamond block (to form a rectangular pattern) and right click again with the shovel. A claim space must be at least 100 blocks. If a player wants to expand their claim it must be by at least 5 blocks. To remove a claim a player must stand in the claim and type /unclaim; it will only unclaim that specific claim.
After the player has claimed a space it cannot be built on, destroyed, or interacted with unless the player uses the /trust [name of player] command while standing in the claim you want the other player to have access to. A simple /untrust [name of player] will secure the claim again. A player doing either of these commands while not in any of the player’s claims will trust or untrust a specific player from all claims owned. Finally to untrust or trust everyone stand outside of the claim and do /untrust[or trust] all.
5. Do you have experience of being a staff on another server and/or service?

-The way that I understand this question is asking for other experiences I have in leadership roles. I have experience serving in student leadership at my college for two years. I have been volunteering as an admin for a hyperlocal gifting group on Facebook for approximately 5 years; the group has about 1,200 members currently and I serve with the new group being started the next city over from me, as advisor and trainer.

6. Have you ever tried creating your own server? How did it go?

-I have been the owner of private modded Minecraft servers for friends off and on for about 5 years, most of these stopped being used because, at the time, our lives got too busy. I did start Minecraft club in my early years of college. It didn’t go well as the college didn’t want to support us in the ways we originally thought. Otherwise, I have mostly been a player.

7. Why do you want to be a trainee?

-I want to be a trainee because Jello told me to apply. Well in all seriousness, I have been thinking about applying for staff for some time now. I just haven’t felt the time was right for me; I had some personal things going on and didn’t want that to translate into my ability to help on the server. I have talked a number of times with various staff, but when Jello mentioned it today it struck me as a good time to try out.
The main reason I considered applying was my desire to try to be a community builder and promote civility and inclusion while balancing boundaries and rules. I enjoy welcoming new players, asking them to read the rules. Anytime anyone has a question, server related, I try to answer or connect that player with a member of staff who may be able to help. Being a trainee, I would be able to continue doing what I am and also be able to support players by promoting boundaries. I would also have the opportunity to be an understudy to other staff members, to learn and grow.

8. How long have you been on the Server?

-Since about May 18, 2020, this is when I received my first hour playtime achievement.

9. Have you ever been banned? What were you banned for and by whom?

-I have not been banned on this server or any other server.

10. What hours will you most likely be on?(PST)

-I am on sporadically throughout the day most every day. I can commit to being on most evenings from 6pm-9pm, probably more. It really depends on getting into my master’s program and covid related things. But I do promise to be in good communication with staff about changes or if I will be gone for any lengthy period of time.

11. Do you understand what a trainee does? Please explain.

-Trainees are entrusted with the basic commands of kick and mute, from my understanding from talking to trainees. One of the ways kick can be used is to remove a player who is choosing to grief or hack and messaging other players

12. How would you handle a grief report? Example: "Help! I have been griefed :/"

-I would send a /tpa request to see what the player was reporting. I would use the above described anti-grief system to check if and by whom the area has been claimed. Then I will assess the next steps. If the player reporting is found to have been griefed or if I am not sure but used all my available resources, I will pass the report on to staff who have access to assist further. If no staff are immediately available, I will let the player know that I have reported it to higher staff and to be on the look out for a response from someone.

13. How would you handle someone, or many people, complaining that the server is lagging?

-First, I would assess whether I may also be lagging. I will also hold down tab and see the player’s connection to the server. I will also ask probing questions to see where they are and what they are doing that may be a contributing factor. After gathering all the info I can I will act accordingly, whether it is letting them know that I am experiencing lag too and that I have reached out to other staff, that they may need to relog to try to get a better server connection, or let them know that what they are doing may be causing the lag. I will of course do this with kindness and empathy because I too have experienced lag while playing and it is no fun.

14. How many warnings would you give before you temp-banned someone?

-I think a person should get 3 warnings to change before setting a boundary of temp banning.

15. Would you try to collect "evidence" before you ban someone, such as screen shots, ect. ?

-Evidence is the best signifier to the validity of banning someone. I would take screenshots before the ban if at all possible. Unless the situation is such that immediate action needs to take place and then I will ban then take the screenshots.

16. If you became a trainee, would you check the ban appeals frequently?

-As previously stated, I have not used the forums much as a player; however, I would be in the role of staff and so feel that checking ban appeals at least 2-3 times a week if not more would be expected of me.

17. What is your favorite song?

-So, this is one of the hardest questions on this application and there were some tough ones on here. But music for me is so personal and significant to life. This question would be like me choosing a favorite pet! I leave you with not a song but a chord progression sometimes lovingly known as “the ice cream changes” this progression is used across a majority of my favorite songs For more info-

18. Any staff member recommend you? (It's okay if they don't but it's better if you do have one!)

-Jello specifically recommended me. However, I have received supportive feedback from other staff members in the past.

===============